Monday, July 6, 2009

The cord incident

Posted by Michael and Susanne Napp





There are moments that you look forward to your entire life. For many dads, cutting the umbilical cord is a symbolic leap into fatherhood. Davis came squirming out of the womb last Friday morning, and Dr. Radbill asked if I would like to cut the cord. Of course I would! So he handed me the scissors and showed me the place between the two clamps where I should cut. Now, I've heard stories of lesser men having to cut two or three times and "gnaw" their way through the cord. Not this guy, I wanted to do it in one clean cut. So, I opened those scissors as wide as I could and, with surgical precision, I cut. POP! I don't know where all that pressure came from - but blood shot everywhere. All over my face, my shirt, there may have been some on the 15 foot ceiling. Dr. Radbill, who's been an OB for 20+ years, and our nurse Mary Lee (nurse for 35 years!) said they had NEVER seen that happen. So, I may be one of those stories that doctors and nurses tell around the coffee pot.

Funniest part of this story - Sus made me change shirts when she started pushing. I had on an old Texas Tech basketball T-shirt, and she wanted me to put on a Lacoste shirt that mom gave me for my birthday. I informed her that I thought this was a silly idea, but she wanted me to "look nice" for the pics and videos after the birth. So, I had a little bit of an "I told you so" mentality after it got covered in bloody umbilical madness. Mimi did get all of the blood out with some peroxide so all is well. If you listen right as the grandparents come in on the video a few posts down, the first thing I say to my mom is "I'm gonna need a new Lacoste shirt." But they all ignore me and I'm pretty sure they are learning about this story right now along with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment