Monday, March 9, 2009

Where did you think you were going?

Posted by Michael and Susanne Napp


In the gospels, Jesus makes the following statement: “If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me." This is a pretty well known verse in the Christian faith; my question to believers (via my pastor yesterday) is where did you think you were going with that cross? Crosses are instruments of death. You are carrying that cross to your death.

Figuratively, this is easier to comprehend. I've got to "die to myself" and be willing to do things God's way instead of my way. There must be a "less of me" and "more of Him" mentality. When a believer is willing to sacrifice their own desires and replace them with the desires of the Father, then you are taking up your cross.

But literally, what about dying for the faith? Are you willing to forfeit your very breath if that is what is required of you? Maybe not in an "End of the Spear" kind of way, but what about a willingness to be used of God in ANY manner that he sees fit? What about being in a place in your faith where you are perfectly OK with a cancer diagnosis if that is a method for God's glory to go public. A crippling disease? The death of a child or spouse? These are things that abhor us; because we are consumed with ourselves (our loss, our grief - both very real things). Is the glorifcation of God more important than my comfort and health? I believe that for followers of Christ, circumstances are never tragic (except the death of a non-believer). Allowing circumstances to prevent us from worshipping our creator is the only tragedy.

I know this opens a HUGE theological debate: I don't think that God gives people cancer in ALL cases (but I'm not going to claim that he NEVER does either). We live in a fallen creation where death and other suffering is inevitable. I certainly don't have all of the answers or a full understanding of these things -- but I'm seeking both. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

Bull said...

Great thoughts, and great to see you diving into some weighty matters!

I think one of the most beautiful things about Christianity is that it is the only religion, the only system of belief, that offers any kind of answer to the reality of suffering. If God can take the biggest injustice in all of history - the execution of the only man who was ever truly innocent - and use that to accomplish the greatest good in all of history - reconciliation with our Creator - then doesn't that put all other bad things into perspective? Romans 8:28 - "All things" are for our good and God's glory. How amazing is that?

Of course, let something bad happen to me, and I'll forget all that. I believe, help my unbelief!

The Huey Family said...

too bad we live in a "PC" culture where putting someone to death for their faith is non-existent!

Anonymous said...

Awesome thoughts. Touchy subject for me with the whole cancer thing. I KNOW its true because I SAW my dad's outlook on things, and I SAW what God did through him and how he used something crappy as terminal cancer to serve his purpose. I struggle more now with it though...mostly because I'm pissed/angry/mad/sad that my Dad is not around. I still know its true though. Read this article my dad wrote in 2006 for the Baptist Press. Awesome Outlook, huh?

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=23806

Nate Blaylock

Michael and Susanne Napp said...

From Mike Blaylock's article:

"When I was young, my aunt always kept a puzzle going in her family room. It was one of those with a ton of pieces, and they were always hard. The key to getting the puzzle finished was seeing the picture on the box. God sees the picture on the box in my life. I see the pieces. I trust what He sees. His plan may be to receive glory from a miraculous healing in my life, or His plan may be to mold and shape my family, my staff and others through my death."

That's a beutiful picture - Mike never let his circumstances prevent him from seeing and worshipping his God. And I think both of his scenarios played out just like he thought -- God is receiving glory from Mike's eternal healing and all of Mobile and beyond was molded and shaped through his death.

Post a Comment