Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fatherhood Rite of Passage # 1

Posted by Michael and Susanne Napp


I'm starting a new series on the blog of the rites of passage of being a father - as I encounter them. Davis is 6 days old. I've already been indoctrinated with 3 of these rites, these cornerstones, of parenting. The new normal for me and Susanne is starting to take root. Rite of Passage # 1 is not very surprising and is incredibly normal: lack of continuous sleep. Here's the view from the couch at 2:02 am.

Now, I really shouldn't complain. I've heard nightmare stories of people getting much less sleep than we are getting or about screaming, crying, impossible to console babies. Thankfully, for us so far, this has not been the case. Davis is sleeping at night -- just not continuously. And also not after his 11:00 feeding. He thinks 12:30 - 2:30 in the morning is wakey time. I've seen 2:00 am 7 consecutive nights now -- and I'm sure there's several more weeks of this to come. Again, it's not terrible because we do get to sleep uninterrupted for 2 to 3 hours both before and after this time. But it's still an adjustment. I'm really glad that we're both educators home for the summer, because we can steal a few hours of Napp-time (shameless blog plug) in the late morning or afternoon.

A self - photo at 2:20 am -- sorry if I look mad, I think the flash just hurt my eyes. I'm not upset that I get some alone time with my dude.

Thankfully, I've got Billy Mays (God rest his soul), the replay of ESPNs game from the night before, Food Network, and Mafia Wars / Facebook to keep me sane during the late night shift. I'm less than lucid some nights so don't be surprised if I wind up ordering an Awesome Auger, Big City Slider, or a gross of Hercules Hooks soon.




3 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Nice! What is it w/ babies thinking that nighttime is playtime?! At least he does actually sleep between feedings! Kate hates her naps (not to be confused w/ the real Napps).

Oh, and lucky for Bull, this mama is the only one to provide the delightful food for baby Kate. I pull that 3 a.m. feeding EVERY night. BUT, no worries - it's just about time to introduce the wondrous bottle, and Mr. Turnbull will be seeing more of that hour just like you!

I'm glad to hear that he is doing well! I love his little socks!!

The Huey's said...

you crack me up...sleep will come again...I promise!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You look kinda creepy in that picture. Well done.

Post a Comment